History

The Shippan Point Garden Club conducts programs in support of its mission to promote interest in horticulture, floral design, civic planting and conservation. The Shippan community participates in, and benefits from, these many activities and events such as our community gardens, our May Market, our scholarship program and the Doors of Shippan.


The Club was officially organized in October 1925 with the aim of advancing gardening. In its early years, the Club held regular meetings, often in members’ gardens or homes, to create an opportunity to learn about gardening from one another and to exhibit horticultural samples and flower arrangements.

In May of 1926 the Club organized a Plant Exchange for members that evolved into the annual May Market plant sale that is open to the public, usually scheduled for the day before Mother’s Day.

The Club’s 25th Anniversary Project was the planting of Dogwood Trees, Cornus florida, on Ocean Drive West. Educational flower shows were scheduled to celebrate 25th and 50th anniversaries.

Since 1995 The Shippan Point Garden Club has awarded scholarships to graduating Stamford resident high school seniors who plan to attend college for the study of plant sciences, the environment and related subjects.

The year 2000 marked the 75th anniversary of the Club’s founding. In celebration, the Shippan Point Community Welcome Garden, at the confluence of Harbor Drive and Shippan and Magee Avenues, was built as a gift to the community.

Additional gardens planned and maintained by the club include the traffic circle at Fairvview Avenue, the triangle near the Marion Castle, the garden on the southeast corner of Shippan and Magee Avenues, and the gardens at the entrance and within the Katrina Mygatt Recycling Center.

The club has continually had a commitment to tree planting on Shippan, including replacement of trees on Shippan Avenue, cherry trees on Fairview Avenue and the cherry trees along Magee Avenue at the entrance to Shippan Point. Its first project was the planting of 50 Acer pseudoplantanus along Shippan Avenue and since then, the Club has arranged for the planting of more than 400 trees along Shippan’s thoroughfares.

The Club remains committed to civic planting, tree planting and public education and will support these endeavors into the future.

Click here for a list of all Club Presidents since 1925.

Click here for the Board and Committee Chairs for 2015-2017.